The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 places a duty on employers to provide a safe
place of work for all its employees.
The supporting Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulation 1999 places a
statutory duty on employers to undertake “suitable and sufficient” assessment of
risks to the health and safety of employees and others affected by the company’s
In addition many Health and Safety Regulations stipulate the need to undertake a
risk assessment, which address the specific hazards and risks that are covered by
those Regulations (e.g. COSHH, Manual Handling, Fire Safety, DSE, Noise at Work,
The risk assessment will depend on the nature of the undertaking and type and extent
of the hazards and risks. Above all the process needs to be practical and be undertaken
by competent person.
How can we help?
- Our consultant will conduct a general or specific risk assessment of your activities
- Alternatively we can help you develop your own risk assessment capabilities in-house
- We can train your staff to make general or specific risk assessments
- We can audit your risk assessments to ensure they are “suitable and sufficient”
and meet your legal obligations.
Example of risk assessments which can be carried out by our consultants:
- Display screen equipment
- Manual handling
- Control of substances hazardous to health
- Fire precautions and training
- First Aid
- Management of Asbestos
- Condition of walkways, stairs & traffic routes
- Provision and use of work equipment
- Electrical installation and electrical equipment
- Use of personal protective equipment