This one day course is aimed at employees who may be required to work in or enter confined spaces.
Delegates are provided with the knowledge and skill required to enter into a dangerous or confined space for the purpose of carrying out work therein safely.
Delegates will gain familiarity with all aspects of confined spaces and the importance of correct use of the emergency escape breathing apparatus set.
The course material and handouts are used in conjunction with the Confined Spaces Regulations, associated legislation and approved codes of practice (ACOP).
This programme is designed for managers, supervisors and operatives who may be required to make an emergency evacuation from a confined space using escape breathing apparatus or enter into a confined space to carry out a variety of work activities.
Delegates do not require any previous experience.
- legislation & regulations
- definition of a confined space
- accidents in confined spaces
- hazards identification
- dangerous atmospheres
- bacterial infections
- methods of risk control
- atmospheric monitoring
- gas detectors
- safety equipment and pre-use checks
- escape breathing apparatus
- basic life support and CPR
- practical exercises and assessments
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- understanding of the requirements of the Confined Space legislation and the associated ACOP
- ability to identify a confined space and its reasonable foreseeable risks
- knowledge and skill to select the appropriate methods of risk control
- ability to select the appropriate safety equipment that may be used when entering a confined space
- knowledge of the appropriate pre-use checks
- ability to conduct an entry into a confined space using escape breathing apparatus
- understanding of gas detection procedures and associated gas detection equipment