This two day course will enable personnel to have the necessary knowledge and skill to qualify as Breathing Apparatus Wearers for entry into irrespirable and dangerous atmospheres for the purpose of carrying out work safely.
Delegates will gain familiarity in the use of respiratory protection by the provision of a self contained breathing apparatus set, leading to an understanding of its operation and safe practices.
The course material and handouts are used in conjunction with the legal requirements of A Breathing Apparatus Wearer (Home Office Technical Bulletin 1/1997), associated legislation and Approved Codes of Practices (ACOP).
This programme is designed for managers, supervisors and operatives who may be required to make an emergency evacuation using escape breathing apparatus or using full breathing apparatus to carry out a variety of work activities.
Delegates do not require any previous experience.
- legal requirements of a breathing apparatus wearer
- cover full set description
- cover air flow through the set
- general check & pre-entry check
- records and maintenance
- physiology of respiration
- fitting the cylinder and donning the set
- control procedures
- basic life support
- possible malfunctions
- practical exercises & written examination.
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- familiarity with breathing apparatus equipment and its maintenance
- understanding of the legal requirements for a qualified breathing apparatus wearer
- knowledge of the operating principles of a breathing apparatus set and possible malfunctions
- knowledge for checking procedures
- understanding of how to operate and use breathing apparatus safely
- understanding of control procedures
- understanding of basic first aid and gain skills on providing CPR to an unconscious casualty