25 April 2019
Thu, April 25 2019 (09:30 - 16:30) at Standsure House TR1, Dalton-in-Furness with David Coulson
19 June 2019
Book a Place
Wed, June 19 2019 (09:30 - 16:30) at Standsure House TR1, Dalton-in-Furness with David Coulson
This 1-Day course covers the content of the Level 1 course but also expands on the effects of drugs and alcohol, incorporates the First Aid for Mental Health Action Plan and covers ways in which a positive mental health culture can be supported within a workplace
Learners undertaking this course will be considered First Aiders for Mental Health and be a point of contact within the workplace to help and support those with a suspected mental health condition.
This course is suitable for everyone but has been designed to help employers to provide a positive mental health culture within the workplace and to provide learners with comprehensive knowledge on a range of the most common mental health conditions and the skills to be able to act should a condition be suspected.
Delegates must be a minimum age of 14.
- Defining mental health and understanding stigma
- Identifying factors that can affect a person’s mental health and understanding the role of the First Aider
- Outlining the advice that should be provided to a person suffering from a suspected mental health condition, emergency service intervention
- Identifying signs of stress and stating how stress can be managed
- Identifying signs and/or symptoms for the following mental health conditions: Depression, Anxiety, Psychosis, Eating Disorders, Suicide and Self-Harm
- Stating potential effects of alcohol and drug abuse on a person’s mental health
- Demonstrating the application of the first aid action plan for mental health
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- Know what mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a First Aider for mental health and how to develop a positive culture in the workplace
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a mental health condition
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Know how to recognise a range of mental health conditions
- Understand the impact of substance abuse on mental health
- Understand the first aid action plan for mental health and be able to put it in place