NEBOSH Fire Safety and Risk Management
For further information on any of our courses please contact our Training Coordinator
on 0845 833 8931 or email
Mon 02 Dec 2013
Standsure House TR1, Barrow in furness
£500.00 + VAT per delegate
GROUP DISCOUNT £4000.00 + VAT
The NEBOSH Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management syllabus consists of three units: Unit NGC1 - Management of Health and Safety (not covered here), Unit FC1 - Fire Safety and Risk Managment and Unit FC2 - Practical Fire Risk Assessment.
The course covers the management of health and safety and in particular fire safety including legal requirements. It also includes principles of fire and explosion, causes and prevention of fires, fire protection in buildings and ensuring the safety of people in the event of fire. Delegates will be equiped to carry out fire risk assessments of most low risk workplaces and identify the range of fire protective and preventative measures required.
Who should attend?
Managers and supervisory staff who need to ensure that their organisation meets its responsibilities under fire safety legislation. It is also suitable for people moving into fire safety adviser roles. No previous health and safety or fire safety knowledge is required although it should be noted that the assessment includes a requirement to write a short report.
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- Unit FC1
- knowledge of the legal framework and the roles/powers of enforcement agencies
- understanding of the key elements of a fire safety management system
- ability to identify the principles behind ignition and spread of fire and to implement appropriate control measures to minimise fire risks
- knowledge on fire protection and prevention of fire spread within buildings
- knowledge on means of escape and the implementation of evacuation procedures
- understanding of the methods and systems available to give early warning in case of fire, both for life safety and property protection
- ability to determine the appropriate level and type of detection within premises
- knowledge on the basic fire extinguishing methods for life risk and process risk
- understanding of fire risk assessment techniques to determine risk levels
- abilities to identify workplace fire hazards and preventive/protective measures
- Unit FC2
- skills to carry out a fire risk assessment of a workplace, evaluating the significant fire hazards present and, where necessary, suggesting appropriate remedial action
- skills in producing reports that explain the concerns to urge management to implement the remedial actions needed to be taken
The course content will cover:
- managing fire safely
- principles of fire and explosion
- causes and prevention of fire
- fire protection in buildings
- safety of people in the event of fire
- fire risk assessment
- practical fire risk assessment
- There are two assessment elements:
- 1) Written - formal exams: NGC1 and/or FC1 (2hrs each)
- 2) Practical - 45 minute fire risk assessment of a workplace followed by a summary of the assessment and a handwritten report to be completed in 90 minutes.
Successful completion of the course assessment and practical fire risk assessment leads to the award of the internationally recognised NEBOSH certificate.